POLISH POST SUPPLY CENTER

 
 
 
 
 
 
  PHILATELIC STORES
  WERSJA POLSKA
 

150th Anniversary of Joseph Conrad's Birth



designer: Maciej  Jędrysik
engraver:  J.M. Kopecki
quantity of stamps: 1
face value: PLN 3
issue:  500.000 pcs
printing technique: steel engraving
size of stamp: 43 x 31.25 mm
paper: fluorescent
selling sheet: 50 stamps
date of circulation: 3rd December 2007
numer katalogowy: 4194

FDC


Dear collectors,

Biography

Józef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski was born on December 3, 1857 in Berdyczów (Berdychiv, currently in Ukraina). His parents, being the active fighters for Polish independence, have been both captured in 1861 and exiled in the far off region of Russia. They died in a few years, and their son was placed in the care of his uncle. At the age of 17 Korzeniowski has left to Marseille where he enlisted as a sailor. From 1878 on he continued to work on the British cargo ships until he received (in 1886) the rank of captain and the British citizenship. In his voyages he had opportunity to visit Far East, Central America, Australia and Oceania, and Africa. He quitted sailing only in 1894 and settled down in the suburbs of London. Soon he has published his first novel, "Almayer's Folly". He got married and had two sons. He never got rid of his original family name, although his books were published under a pseudonym Joseph Conrad, and therefore he is known under this name all over the world. Until his death on August 3, 1924 in Bishopsbourne (England), he followed carefully the state of affairs in Poland.

The new stamp and the FDC envelope

The 150th anniversary of Joseph Conrad's birth has found its place in the UNESCO calendar. Poczta Polska celebrates it by issuing the new steel-engraved stamp. It features the writer's portrait with a fragment of the "Heart of Darkness" manuscript and a silhouette of the sailship in background. The FDC envelope is decorated with the picture of a ship in the open sea. The issue is accompanied by occasional postmark to be applied at the Kraków 1 Post Office, because Joseph Conrad had spent a few years in that city (and in Lviv as well) before his final departure to France. The postmark design combines in itself a copy of writer's signature.

His works

From his family house Józef Konrad Korzeniowski has received a strong attachment to the Polish romantic literature, while his writer's talent and his linguistic skills were inherited right from his father - once a renown poet and translator. Although his works are based mainly on his own experiences and memories, yet they carry more universal message. Their heroes come from different European countries, and the action takes place at various places in the world. Apart from the marine themes, they frequently refer to some political problems. Besides the works of the Polish romantic poets, Mickiewicz and Słowacki, Korzeniowski drew his inspiration from the French realistic literature. Among his most important works are: "Heart of Darkness", "Lord Jim", "The Shadow Line", and "The Secret Agent". His books entered into the canon of English literature, and in Poland they were the most popular during World War II. His works were also used frequently as a base for the movie screenplays (the F. Coppola's famous "Apocalypse Now" is still regarded as the best film adaptation of "Heart of Darkness").

Philately

The stamps executed in the steel engraving technique (a variation of the plate printing where the matrix has to be hand engraved in the steel plate) nowadays occurr rather rarely. They usually characterise with a noble outlook, precision of the line and an easily perceptible facture. A master of the philatelic steel engraving was Czesław Słania, who died in 2005.
On the occasion of 100th anniversary of Joseph Conrad's birth in 1957 another stamp was also issued in the same technique, or there were rather two stamps, printed in different colour and with different nominal values

 



Christmas

designer: M. Dabrowska
quantity of stamp:
value: 1.35 PLN, 3 PLN
issue:1.35 PLN - 23.000.000 pcs
            3 PLN - 3.000.000 pcs
printing technique: rotogravure
size of stamp:  31.25 x 39.5 mm
paper: fluorescent
selling sheets: 50 stamps
circulation date: 27 November 2007
numer katalogowy: 4191, 4192

FDC




Dear collectors,

For this year's Christmas Poczta Polska has prepared two new stamps, each of them featuring quite different style of presentation and the cultural context of these Holidays.

- The stamp of the nominal value PLN 1.35 presents a nursery book-like illustration, executed in the rare technique of multicolor relief. On this picture a small teddy bear, wearing the "Santa Claus" cap, sits by a fireplace, with the adorned Christmas tree and the starry sky, seen through the window, in the background. Each of us holds probably some beautiful memories, relating to the Christmas night, especially from our childhood days. Waiting in emotion for the first star and the presents to come, dressing up the Christmas tree, recalling the look and aromas of the holiday table... Such memories are really worth to be cherished always, to create the tradition of warm homely atmosphere, now and  for the next generations.

- Another stamp of nominal value PLN 3 bears an illustration well anchored in the religious tradition of Christmas Day. It presents a copy of the 15th century painting "Adoration of the Magi" by Mikołaj Haberschrack from Kraków. It is a part of the altar poliptych for the St. Catherine church, ordered by the Augustian Fathers about 1468. Its style is exceptionally realistic what may be seen at this very picture in the landscape in background. Although the Adoration of Magi or Kings is known from the apocrypha only, that theme had been widely accepted in the Christian iconography. Its anniversary, more correctly called the Epiphany (or the Twelfth Night in British tradition), is celebrated on the 6th of January, closing the Christmas cycle

The FDC e
nvelopes and the occasional postmarks

Each stamp is accompanied by the FDC envelope and the occasional postmark, properly matched to their individual character. The envelope for the stamp with "Adoration of Magi" features a drawing of the Christmas wafer and the straw bed, while on the other there are the Christmas tree decorations in a form of the straw stars. Both postmarks present scenes of the Holy Family at manger in different convention. They will be applied at the Warszawa 1 Post Office.

The p
hilately

Some of the paintings of Mikołaj Haberschrack had already been presented on the Poczta Polska stamps: in 1991 six-stamps series "Masterpieces from the collection of the National Museum in Kraków" there were two such copies, one of  the "The expulsion of the pedlars from the temple" (a scene from the Augustian poliptych) and the other, a little bit later painting "Three Maries".

 



The Artistic Production of Jerzy Duda-Gracz


designer: J. Pietras
quantity of stamp: 1 
value: 1.35 PLN
issue: 540.000
printing technique: offset
size of stamp:  39,5 x 51 mm
paper: fluorescent
selling sheet: 18 stamps
circulation date: 5 November 2007
catalogue number: 4190

FDC


Dear collectors,

Biography

Jerzy Duda-Gracz was born in Częstochowa on March 20, 1941. Since his childhood he revealed the unusual talent. Drawing and painting were for him, as he used to say, as necessary as breathing. After graduating from the Technical Arts High School he studied at the Graphic Art Faculty at the Academy of  the Fine Arts in Katowice (a branch of the Kraków Academy). For many years he taught at the artistic Academies in Katowice and Warsaw. As the renown artist he had won numerous prizes, his works are to be found in many museums and galleries all over the world as well as in the private collections. He died on November 5, 2004, during the open air working session at Łagów.

The new stamp and FDC envelope

On the third anniversary of the death of that prominent painter Poczta Polska presents a new stamp featuring the Jerzy Duda-Gracz's self-portrait. It is so-called "The Jubilee Self-portrait", painted on 1999 on the occasion of the 30th anniversary of his artistic work, presenting the author as always with a touch of self-irony, as wearing the laurel wreath on his head.
On the FDC envelope there is a painting "Załęcze - my loves" of 1996 from the cycle "The county-provincial paintings" together with a citation, very important to understand his works:

"I was born in Częstochowa, live in Silesia, and I paint exclusively in Poland, because I am a man ill on Poland, being able to live and work nowhere else."

This emission will be accompanied by an occasional postmark to be applied at the Post Office Częstochowa 1.

His work

Duda-Gracz had created his own, individual style, which attracted crowds of admirers of his art to the exhibitions. In his paintings one could find grotesque, caricature, critical look at the human weaknesses and failures, journalistic and moralistic approach. These all refers to the 1970s, when on his pictures reigned sloppy workers, primitive women with deformed bodies, freaks, people lazy and stupid, somehow ridiculous, somehow pathetic, surrounded by the ruined sheds and total mess, an ugly and depressing landscape.
In his later works however melancholy took over and longing for the country world, slowly fading away, and most of all his great fondness for the Polish landscape.

"I am in hurry, because my Poland thaws out even faster than the last year's snow, and I want not to miss the time to paint it, although I know it is an absurd, for this Poland lives in me alone and will die right with me."

Among his achievements are landscapes, portraits and self-portraits, bigger cycles (religious etc.) and designs of scenographies. He used to work quickly, and each painting was marked with the number and date. His last great cycle "To Chopin" (1999-2003) was the series of illustrations to all the composer's works. For some of his spectators the works of Duda-Gracz may be hard to accept, especially his religious paintings, where sacrum and profanum enter into direct conflict (as in his "The Golgota of Jasna Góra", where among the hosts of historical and current celebrities the painter placed himself and his family as well), but for sure no one can pass by his works indifferently.

 



The 25th Anniversary of the Pope John Paul II Foundation


designer: M. Blazkow
iquantity of stamp: 1 
value: 1.35 PLN
issue: 540.000
printing technique: offset
size of stamp: 39.5 x 51 mm
paper: fluorescent
selling sheet: 9 stamps
circulation date: 30 October 2007
catalogue number: 4189

FDC


Dear collectors,

The John Paul II Foundation

The election of a Pole for the Pope was an event of great importance for the consciousness not of the Poles alone, but for the faithful of the East and Central Europe as well. His immense authority and the many years' work and strength resulting from his deep faith were an example and reference point for the hosts of Catholics. In an intention to let the potential accrued over the pontificate since its beginning bring about the profits in the spiritual life, cluture, science and the social life of all our region, on October 16, 1981 the John Paul II Foundation had been established by the Pope himself. Its many-sided activity consists mainly of documenting and scientific analysing of Papal documents, collecting and rendering accessible the archives, organizing the schoolings and symposia, preparing the numerous publications, such as e.g. "Bullarium Poloniae" (a documentation of all the Polish-Vatican contacts since the Christianization of Poland), as well as assistance to the pilgrims to Rome. Its educational mission is being fulfilled among others by the Summer University of Polish Culture, meant in the first place for the use of Polish emigration from all over the world. In cooperation with Catholic University of Lublin it teaches courses on history, literature, arts and current situation of Poland, and the Poles and the Church in exile.
The Foundation is managed by the Administrative Council under chairmanship of the Metropolitan of Kraków, currently Archbishop Stanisław Dziwisz.

The FDC envelope - The Polish Pilgrim Home

The Polish Pilgrim Home, situated about 15 km away from the center of Rome as a gift of all the Poles in exile, serves first of all as the base for pilgrims and Foundation's guests. It is also a seat of the secretarial offices and the Center for Research and Documentation of the Pontificate of Pope John Paul II. The building had been blessed by the Pope on November 8, 1981, and the photo of this event is reproduced on the FDC Envelope of this issue. As the motto the following quotation from the Pope's teaching was used: "The most precious however is the work which leaves the permanent trace in the hearts and minds of the young people".

The new stamp and occasional postmark

The stamp is of a very simple design: against white background there is a reproduction of the John Paul II portrait by an Italian paintress, Dina Bellotti (1911-2003). Many of her works, including the portraits of Popes Paul VI and John Paul II, decorate the walls of Vatican apartments.
The occasional postmark, whose design includes the Foundation logo, will be applied at the Post Office Warszawa 1.

Philately

Poczta Polska duly commemorated all the important events over the pontificate of John Paul II: all his vists to Poland, anniversaries of his election as well as his birthdays. Among them there were also three joint issues prepared together with the Post of Vatican (in 2000, 2003 and 2004), including the unique stamp, printed on silver foil, on the 25-years' jubilee of the "Our Pope's" pontificate.

 




Capital Cities of EU States

   
   
 


designer:M. Blazkow
quantity of stamp:5
value: 2 x 1.35 PLN, 2 x 3PLN, 1 x 3.55 PLN
issue: 500.000 pcs each stamp
printing technique: offset
size of stamp:  39.5 x 31.25 mm
paper: fluorescent
selling sheets: 20 stamps
circulation date: 24 October 2007
catalogue number: 4184 - 4188

FDC











Dear Collectors,

 

The philatelic series

The series "Capital Cities of EU States" continues since 2005 on. As yet the following cities have been presented on its stamps: Budapest, Berlin, Dublin, Lisbon, Paris, Rome, Stockholm, Tallinn, Valletta and Vilnius.

London - Tower Bridge

History of London stems from the epoch of Roman Empire. Since the 11th century it is the capital city of England, and also the biggest city and harbour in the country. Great Britain belongs to the European Community since 1973, and therefore it is the EU Member State since its origins.
Tower Bridge, one of the best recognizable symbols of London, is built of steel and its style is neo-Gothic. Its lower part is a drawbridge, allowing passage of the really big ships, while in its upper part the foot bridge is situated. Tower Bridge was built in the end of the 19th century as the second London bridge on River Thames. In the Victorian age it has been an example of the modern industrial construction.

Luxembourg - the Philharmonic

Although history of the city of Luxembourg goes back as far as the 10th century, and up to the 19th century it remained to be an almost unaccessible stronghold, yet on the stamp it is represented by a picture of the building of Philharmonic, finished in 2005 and laid out by the French architect, Christian de Portzamparc.
This miniature, yet very rich duchy, situated in the corner in between Belgium, France and Germany for many ages have been passed from hands to hands of the rivalling European ruling dynasties up to 1867, when it finally became independent on the basis of its declaration of permanent neutrality. This was the birthplace of the European Union, as the site of the European Commonwealth of Coal and Steel. Although many EU offices and institutions had already been transferred to Brussels or Strasbourg, Luxembourg is still an important finance and trading center.

Madrid - Plaza de Cibeles

The emblematic place of Madrid presented on the stamp is connected with the era of the city's maximum rise. Since the 17th century Madrid became the capital of the Spanish Kingdom, and in the 18th century, during the reign of Bourbon dynasty, and especially of King Charles III, the city became modernized and full of splendour, suitable for the royal residence. Among the tenths of its fountains one of the most splendid is Fuente de Cibeles (the Fountain of Kybele). It is sacrificed to the phrygian goddess of fertility, Kybele, represented on the chariot carried by the lions. At Plaza de Cibeles stands the monumental building of the Main Post Office (Palacio de Comunicaciones), erected in the beginning of the 20th century. It can also be seen on the stamp.
Spain has joined the European Communities in 1986.

Riga - the Monument of Roland in front of the House of Blackheads

Riga originated as small settlement on the Baltic coast (towards the end of the 12th century), but its growth was rapid and dynamic due to its membership to Hanza. In the beginnings Latvia was colonized by the German-speaking population, only to fall down in the 2nd half of the 16th century under Polish, and then Swedish and Russian (or later USSR) domination. Latvia became fully independent as late as in 1991, and in 2004 it has entered the EU.
The Riga's Old Town quarter is mentioned on the UNESCO list, and the city is famous of its remarkable Art Nouveau architecture, parks and gardens. On the stamp one can see the best renowned building, called the House of Blackheads. Since the 15th century it had belonged to the brotherhood of the rich, unmarried merchants. Their patron was St. Mauritius whose symbol, the head of a Negro, found its place in the brotherhood's coat of arms. In front of this building there is a statue of famous medieval knight, Roland. Both of these objects have been destroyed in 1941 and returned to their former place at the Town Hall Square only in the end of the 20th century.

Ljubljana - the Dragon's Bridge

History of Slovenia is much complicated, as the Balkan region was troubled with innumerable wars for ages. The striving of Slovenians to independence has revived during the Napoleon's epoch, and could manifest again only after the fall of the Josip Broz Tito's communist regime. Slovenia has separated from Yougoslavia in 1991, in 1992 it became the member of UN, and in 2004 it has joined the EU.
The capital's name Lublana means "beloved". It is situated on the river Ljubljanica, over which there are a few beautiful bridges. One of them, the famous "Dragon's Bridge" (Zmajski Most), can be seen on the stamp. It was built about 1900 according to the design of Jurij Zaninović in Secession style, basically of the reinforced concrete.

The new stamps and FDC envelopes

Poczta Polska presents the third part of the series "Capital Cities of EU States". Its five stamps feature the emblematic buildings and constructions of London, Luxembourg, Madrid, Riga and Ljubljana. Each stamp is accompanied with an FDC envelope and one occasional postmark to be applied at the Post Office Warszawa 1.



World Post Day

designer: M. Dabrowska
quantity of stamp: 1
value: 1.35 PLN
issue: 500.000
printing technique: offset
size of stamp: 43 x 31,25 mm
paper: fluorescent
selling sheet: 20 stamps
circulation date: 9 October 2007
catalogue number: 4183

FDC

Dear collectors,
The World Post Day

The World Post Day is celebrated each year on the 9th of October at the anniversary of establishing the Universal Postal Union. This holiday had been accepted in 1969 at the UPU Congress in Tokyo. On that very day the postal operators all over the world present their most up-to-date technological achievements and services, and invite the youths to get acquainted with the post history and the specificity of the work with post. Moreover, the international competition for children is being organized at that time for the most interesting letter, written on a previously fixed theme. Celebrations of the World Post Day are usually honoured additionally by the philatelic exhibitions, cultural and sport events and special emissions of stamps and FDCs.

A role of Post in the contemporary world

Based on a global network of 660,000 post offices it is possible to deliver more than six billion parcels and some 440 billion letters, and to perform millions of money transfers. In this handling and delivery work up to five million employees are involved. The ever growing development of Internet and other communications technologies do not excludes the need of such uniform, efficient and universal operator as the Post. After all, in spite of the virtual reality created in computers, we are still living in the real world, where even the goods purchased by Internet have to be delivered through absolutely material mail service.

The Universal Postal Union

The Universal Postal Union (UPU - Union Postale Universelle) was established on October 9, 1874, and since 1948 it belongs organizationally to the UN. It plays a role of chief supervisor of the organization, development and improving quality of postal services, setting up the delivery standards and promoting co-operation between the member states. Poland had joined UPU in 1919.

The World Post Day in Polish philately

Since the fifties of the 20th century on the Polish Post used to publish regularly special stamps on the Day of the Stamp, featuring most frequently the motifs related to the history of the Post, horse carriages, mounted postmen and genre pieces, connected with correspondency traditions as well as some ancient emblems. In the seventies prevailed the series, presenting related pieces of Polish art, while since the half of the eighties Polish Post publishes the stamps, dedicated to the World Post Day rather than the local emissions only.

The new stamp and the FDC envelope

On the occasion of the World Post Day the Polish Post presents its new stamp together with accompanying FDC envelope. The idea underlying their graphic design is to show a letter which has travelled its way around the world. The multicolored postmarks create a mosaic, from which the letter's itinerary can be read out. These small graphic details sum up to create a whole, for even if the postmarks in every corner of the world may be different their common purpose is to deliver the mail to its addressees. The occasional postmark will be applied to this emission at the Post Office Warszawa 1.



A Hundred Years of the Theatre in Katowice

designer: M. Dziekanska
quantity of stamp: 1
value: 1.35 PLN
issue: 500.000
printing technique: offset
size of stamp: 39.5 x 31.25 mm
paper: fluorescent
selling sheet: 20 stamps
circulation date: 5 October 2007
catalogue number: 4182

FDC

Dear collectors,

Theatre of Silesia

The biggest dramatic theatre in Silesia exists since 1907. Its building was designed by Carl Moritz. For the first 15 years it was the seat of German theatre, changed in 1922 by the troupe of "Polish Theatre"; until 1932 it was the home of the local opera, too. In 1936 the theatre was named with a name of Stanisław Wyspiański. After World War II to the Katowice theatre building the famous troupe of "Polski Teatr Dramatyczny" (Polish Drama Theatre) has moved in from Lwów to work here since then on. The consequent years of 1940s and 1950s were marked with numerous successes and high artistic level of performances. In spite of frequent changes of the managing staff in the following years the theatre has attracted many famous actors from all over the country, and the building has been reconstructed and modernized. Besides the Main (Duża) Stage the Small (Kameralna) Stage was arranged in 1981, supplemented later in 1992 by the so-called Malarnia Stage. Apart from the dramatic plays the theatre is open also for the artistic exhibitions as well as for literary and musical meetings. In the theatre there are carried on the Theatrical Lessons for the youth. The Theatre patronizes also the Actor's and Theatrological Studies.

The Repertoire

Since its very beginning the theatre's stock repertoire was the classic drama, and this tendency is kept up to now, in particular on the Main Stage. There were performed the plays of Shakespeare, Molier, Mickiewicz and Fredro together with plays of some more recent authors, such as Brecht, Mrożek, or Beckett. On the Small Stage however it is usual to perform the works of modern dramatists, such as Ingmar Villquist, for example.
The works of the theatre's patron are still present in its repertoire, especially in this year, being the year of Stanisław Wyspiański's jubilee. This is why in the program of its celebration one can find so many references to his artistic achievements, with the premiere of his "Wedding" at the head.

The new stamps and FDC envelopes

The new stamp of Poczta Polska, published on the occasion of the 100th anniversary of the Theatre of Silesia in Katowice, features a photo of pre-war staging of the S. Wyspiański's drama "The Wedding", while the FDC envelope shows a fragment of the new curtain, made especially for an occasion of jubilee by Piotr Szmitke. Its introduction in November will be one of the final elements of this year's celebrations. The edition is supplemented with the occasional postmark bearing a silhouette of Pegasus, an emblem of the Theatre of Silesia in Katowice, which will be applied in the Post Office Katowice 1.

Philately

In 2005 in the series "Polish Cities" the stamp has been published presenting Katowice and the building of the Silesian Theatre as its symbol. It is really remarkable that this city, popularly thought of as the centre of industry, was represented by an object with cultural function. It is worth to remind here that the Silesian Theatre building had received frequently the philatelic congresses and exhibitions.
The Poczta Polska had already celebrated with special emissions some other's theatre jubilees, as for example in 1976 the 100th anniversary of the Teatr Polski (the Polish Theatre) in Poznań, in 1981 the 200th anniversary of the Stary Teatr (the Old Theatre) in Kraków, and in 1983 the 150th anniversary of the Teatr Wielki - Polish National Opera (the Great Theatre) in Warszawa.


The 50th International Festival of the Contemporary Music
"Warsaw Autumn 2007"


designer: M. Dabrowska
quantity of stamp: 1
value: 3 PLN
issue: 500.000
printing technique: offset
size os stamp: 39.5 x 31.25 mm
paper: fluorescent
selling sheet: 20 stamps
circulation date: 21st September 2007
catalogue number: 4181

FDC


Dear collectors,

The new stamp and the FDC envelope

On the occasion of the 50th anniversary of the "Warsaw Autumn" Festival the Polish Post presents the new stamp together with its FDC envelope. The main graphic motif used both on the stamp and on the envelope was inspired by the electronic sound record. On the envelope it transforms into multicoloured spectrum, while on the stamp it turns into a panorama of the city above which instead of the Moon soars the characteristic Festival logo. This ingenious composition illustrates well the character of the "Warsaw Autumn" Festival - always intriguing, multidirectional, surprising and modern.

The Festival logo has been used also in the design of the occasional postmark, where it is introduced in the number 50. The postmark will be applied at the Post Office Warszawa 1.

A brief history of the "Warsaw Autumn" Festival

Since its very beginning the Warsaw festival of the contemporary was quite a big event. The first festival was organized in 1956 on the initiative of the composers Tadeusz Baird and Kazimierz Serocki. Even then the organizers managed to invite to Poland many famous musicians. The original purpose of "Warsaw Autumn" was to acquaint Polish auditory with the contemporary music in the world as well as to spread around the achievements of the native creators. The years of war and communist opression have brought about considerable losses in culture and the Poles were craving for the novelties. The festival used to be held annualy, apart from the years of 1957 and 1982 and quickly achieved appraisal at the world critics. Thanks to it the composers, performers and musicologist would come eagerly to Warsaw from behind the "Iron Curtain".

The Repertoire

The special commission has been established to take care about the Festival's repertoire. Nevertheless, it is a great advantage of this event that it remained open for really various styles and currents. It denies the popularly held views on the hermetism of the contemporary music, all the more because its concerts are attended by the ever younger audiences, thanks to whom the festival keeps being young and alive in spite of its over 50 years' history.

In the first years of the festival the works of some older composers, such as Bela Bartok, Alban Berg, or Igor Strawiński were performed together with the pieces of representatives of the contemporary vanguard music, such as Pierre Boulez or John Cage. Participation in this festival helped in the world careers of such renowned Polish composers as Krzysztof Penderecki, Witold Lutosławski, Henryk Mikołaj Górecki, or Wojciech Kilar. The Festival Organizing Committee keeps its friendly attitude to the experiments, thanks to which the prestige of "Warsaw Autumn" is still recognized all the world over.

The Festival and the City

Such dynamic formula of the Festival requires considerable living space, which is provided by the city. The concerts are held not only in the Warsaw Philharmonic, the Academy of Music, the Great Theatre and the studios of Polish Radio, but also in many Warsaw churches and sports halls, and even in such more unexpected places as Ujazdów Castle (currently the Center of the Modern Art) or the antique manufacture of "Koneser" Vodka Distillery.



The Polish ZOO's
















 

designer: M. Blazkow
quantity of stamp: 4
value: 1x 1.35 PLN, 1x 2.40 PLN, 1x 3 PLN, 1x 3.55 PLN
issue: 1,35 zł x 800.000 pcs
2,40 zł x 300.000 pcs
3 zł x 500.000 pcs
3,55 zł x 600.000 pcs
printing technique: offset
size of stamp: 31.25 x 43 mm
paper: fluorescent
selling sheets: 20 stamps
circulation date: 11 September 2007
catalogue number: 4177 - 4180

FDC

Koperta FDC










Dear collectors,

The new stamps and the FDC envelopes

The Polish Post presents four new stamps of the "Polish ZOOs" series. Its first part have been emitted in September 2005 and featured the zoological gardens in Warsaw, Poznań, Opole and Wrocław, while the new stamps are dedicated to the zoos in further cities: Płock, Łódź, Gdańsk and Kraków. Each stamp is accompanied by the separate FDC envelope, decorated with appropriate design, and the occasional postmark to be applied at the Post Offices Płock 1, Łódź 1, Gdańsk 1 and Kraków 1 respectively.

The zoological gardens

The first zoological gardens, kept for the scientific purposes only and unaccessible for the wide public, were established at the break of the 18th and 19th centuries. Only gradually they began to open their gates for the visitors, and currently they are not places for the people, looking for amusement and curiosities alone, but first of all they became the refuges for representatives of the numerous endangered animal species. The Zoos of all the world unite and cooperate to assure wise and effective maintenance of the richness and variety of the terrestrial fauna. Mutual exchange of the animals between the zoos from distant places, the veterinarian health care and efforts to assure for the animals the best life conditions prove fruitful when their new generations are being born and live healthily in the captivity.

The City Zoo at Płock

Established in 1951 on the Vistula River steep slope, it covers an area of 10 ha. In spite of its small size however it takes part in many important breeding projects. The zoo has the magnificent aquaria and is famous of its collection of the rare reptiles and amphibians. On the stamp the city zoo at Płock is represented by the emperor tamarin, a representative of one of the greatest in Europe collections of tamarins and marmosets, small South American monkeys whose natural environment is Amazon rain forest.

The City Zoo at Łódź

In this zoo more than 3.000 animals inhabit the area of 16.5 ha. The zoo was established in 1938, but since then its size doubled. Its pride is the bird breeding, and that's why on the stamp one can see an image of the black stork. This rare species reproduces here in captivity, what may be considered the great success of the zoo.

The City Zoo of the Sea-Coast in Gdańsk-Oliwa

The biggest zoo in Poland, covering an area of more than 120 ha, has been established in 1954 in the Forest Mill Valley in Oliwa. In the first years of the works on setting and arranging this vast territory the enthusiastic citizens of Gdańsk, Sopot and Gdynia have lent much support. Currently the zoo keeps many exotic species, close to extinction in their natural habitats, such as pygmy hippos or royal condors for example. On the stamp they are symbolized by an image of the African elephant, also an endangered species.

The City Zoo in Cracow

The zoo exists since 1929 and is situated on the small prominence in the Wolski Forest on an area of 20 ha. Originally it kept mostly the representatives of the native species of animals. In the sixties and seventies however the zoo have been reconstructed and enlarged. Today one of its biggest attractions are the modern living grounds for the biggest cats, such as irbises (snow leopards). The Cracow zoo is famous of their collection, because the animals feel well there and reproduct effectively. For that reason the last stamp features the photo portrait of irbis.

 

 

Polish Arabians

 














stamps and FDC envelopes designer: Witold Hyszko
postmark designer: Maria Dziekanska
photographs: Lidia and Wieslaw Pawlowski
quantity of stamps: 4
face value: 2 x PLN 3.55, 1 x PLN 3, 1 x PLN 1.35
issue: 4 x 800,000 pcs
printing technique: offset
size of stamp: 31.25 x 43 mm
paper: fluorescent
selling sheet: 16 stamps
date of circulation: 31st August 2007
catalogue number: 4173 - 4176

FDC





Dear collectors,

New stamps and the FDC envelopes

The Polish Post presents the new four stamps with photo portraits of the Arab horses, champions of the greatest Polish studs. The stamps will be sold in the sheets of 16 pcs each. They will be accompanied by two FDC envelopes, presenting the herd of the horses on the run. The occasional postmark with a silhouette of the horse will be used at the Post Office Warszawa 1.

Arab horses (the Arabians) are probably the oldest breed of horses. Its legendary origins are related to the prophet Mahomet. They are typically well-built and with strong, yet easy to tame temperament. They are perfectly fit for racing.

In Poland the Arabians became popular after the end of the wars with Turkey, when the aristocracy started to import them from the Near East, and that is why we may date the beginnings of breeding the Arabians in Poland for the first decades of the 18th century. Unfortunately, the long period of foreign annexation as well as both the 1st and 2nd World Wars has brought heavy losses for the breeding farms. Only the patient and thorough work before the 2nd World War, and in particular after it could heal them with such good results that currently the Polish Arabians are deemed one of the best in the world. They regularly win the highest prizes at the international shows and competitions, what results in high prices achieved for them at the auctions as well. Apart from the big, state-owned national stud-farms some number of the smaller private farms flourish today.

National stud-farms

In the Polish history the horses always played an important role. Besides their extensive usage in farming and transport as well as for sport and recreation, they were indispensable in the army. That is why their breeding became a national strategic target, and their quality defined mostly the defensive possibilities of the state. Therefore even since the 19th century the State Treasury invested in the big stud-farms, where over the years of careful fit and selection practices the whole generations of the thoroughbreds were created.

- Janow Podlaski

The stud-farm exists since 1817. It is famous of its annual horse auctions, frequented by the traders from all over the world, and in particular from the USA. It is a seat of the Polish Union of the Arabian Horses' Breeders. Currently the stud holds about 300 Arabian horses

- Michalow

The biggest stud-farm in Poland, established in 1953. It holds some 400 horses. Due to its location in the valley of Nida river, it has the perfect climatic conditions for the horses whose origins trace back from the arid areas.

- Bialka

Located in the Roztocze Hills area it was established already in 1930, but the Arabians came there only in 1981. Currently it holds about 120 such horses.

 

Celebration of the Leśniów Jubilee Year


designer: P. Orzechowska
quantity of stamp: 1
value: 1.35 PLN
issue: 800.000
printing technique: offset
stamp size: 31.25 x 39.5 mm
paper: fluorescent
selling sheet: 20 stamps
circulation date: 2 July 2007
catalogue number: 4172

FDC


Dear collectors,

The new stamp

The Polish Post presents a new stamp issued on the occasion of the Leśniow Holy Virgin Sanctuary. On the stamp there is a photographic picture of the Holy Virgin the Family Patron's figure. The text around the picture has been arranged in the shape of the Gothic arch.

The Leśniów Sanctuary

According to the legend the prince Władysław of Opole, while travelling from Russia and carrying with himself the icon of Black Madonna and the figure of the Holy Virgin with Jesus Child, made of linden wood, for the monastery at the Jasna Gora had to pass across the territory of Cracow-Czestochowa Jura. The summer of the year 1382 was very hot, yet there was no water around to quench his thirst, so the prince began to prey to the Holy Virgin and then miraculously the source sprang up before him. The thankful prince moved on, leaving the figure of the Holy Virgin at Leśniów.

This wooden medieval figure, claimed to be miraculous, belongs to so called Beautiful Madonnas type, very popular in the Gothic art. Currently it is placed in the main altar of the Leśniów church.

Nowadays Leśniów belongs administratively to the town of Żarki, situated in the so called Cracow-Czestochowa Jura, a jurassic plateau between Kraków and Częstochowa. There is the monastery of the Paulite Fathers there, the church of the 16th century, and the chapel erected at the place of the spring. The sanctuary is being visited by the still growing number of pilgrims.


The FDC envelope and the occasional postmark

The FDC envelope features a photo of the interior of the church at Leśniów while the drawing of its external view has been used for the occasional postmark that will be used at the Post Office Żarki. In addition on the FDC envelope there is an information text in on the five anniversaries, being celebrated this year in the sanctuary.


The Leśniów jubilee

In this 2007 year 625 years is passing since bringing the figure of the Holy Virgin with Jesus Child to Leśniów, 300 years since foundation of the Paulite cloister there, 70 years since the re-establishing of this congregation and its novitiate after its annulment in the 19th century, and 40 years since solemn crowning the figure by then Primate of Poland, cardinal Stefan Wyszyński. The celebration of all these anniversaries will be carried on at Leśniów up to August 2008. They will include numerous religious and cultural events related to this place and the subject of family, as well as various meetings, exhibitions, musical concerts and publications.

The Holy Virgin cult in Polish philately

Besides the series with the Veit Stosh altar, issued in 1960, the Polish sacral art was not present on the stamps until the seventies. Only the John Paul the 2nd's pontificate and the change of the political system have contributed to appearance in philately the subject of the Holy Virgin cult, so typical for the Polish religiosity. In the years 1993-2004 the Polish Post has issued a very big series "The Holy Virgin Sanctuaries", containing as many as 38 individual stamps.

 

Polish cities - Chorzow


designer: M. Zyla - Kwiatkowska
quantity of stamp: 1
value: 3.55 PLN
issue: many million repeatable
printing technique: rotogravure
stamp size: 25.5 x 31.25 mm
paper: fluorescent
selling sheets: 100 stamps
circulation date: 15 June 2007
catalogue number: 4171

FDC


Dear collectors,
The new stamp

The philatelic series "Polish Cities" is being published since 2002 and up to now 16 stamps had been issued in it. Now the Polish Post presents the next stamp in this series on the occasion of the 750th anniversary of the city of Chorzów. On the 24th of June, 1257, Wladyslaw Prince of Opole had allowed the friars from the Order of Guardians of the Holy Sepulchre to set up a village named originally Chareu. Each anniversary of this date is celebrated by the citizens of Chorzów as the holiday of their city.

Chorzów

The city is situated on the Rawa river, just in the middle of the Upper Silesian Industrial Area. For a few centuries Chorzów remained to be a small village under the cloister's management, until its secularization by the Prussian administration in the beginning of the 19th century. The rapid development of these areas began about 1780, when the local parish, father Ludwik Bojarski, had discovered the rich deposits of the black coal. In a few next years the mine and the steel mill have been built at the Chorzów vicinity. The most dynamic neighbouring settlement appeared to be Królewska Huta, achieving its city rights already in 1868. The present city emerged only in 1934 as an agglomeration of Królewska Huta and other settlements: Nowe Hajduki, Wielkie Hajduki, Maciejkowice, and Chorzów.

For a long time the mining and metallurgic industry dominated there, but now Chorzów becomes to grow as an important sport and cultural centre, as it has the biggest Polish sport stadium, called the National Stadium. Another city's advantage is the Europe's biggest city park, The Park of Culture and Recreation with its numerous attractions, such as the zoo, ethnographic park, the water sports centre, the cable railway and the narrow gauge railway.

What can you see on the stamp?

The Nicholaus Copernicus Planetarium is situated at one of the highest points (320 m above sea level) within the area of the Park of Culture and Recreation. It is the biggest planetarium in Poland, connected with an astronomical observatory, and it was built in 1955. Almost 400 spectators may watch at the same time the configurations of the celestial bodies on the sky as seen from any point on the Earth at any moment of time. There is also the biggest in Poland 30 cm refractor there as well as the sun dial and the climatologic and seismologic stations.


The FDC envelope

The pictures on envelope present the most characteristic details of architecture of the oldest post building, recognized as a city's hallmark. This Neo-Gothic house had been built in the 19th century.


The postmark

The occasional postmark will be used at the Chorzów 1 Post Office and features the city's coat of arms. One half of its shield presents the eagle, and the other one - half of the double cross what commemorates the city founders, friars of the Guardians of the Holy Sepulchre Order.


The Lighthouses


designer: Z. Okrassa
quantity of stamp: 4
value: 1.35 PLN, 2.40 PLN, 3 PLN, 3.55 PLN
issue: 4 x 800.000
printing technique: rotogravure
stamp size: 31,25 x 43 mm
paper: fluorescent
crculation date: 15 June 2007
catalogue number: 4167 - 4170

FDC





Dear collectors,

The new stamps

In the year 2006 the Polish Post has issued the first part of the stamp series with lighthouses of the Polish seacoast. This year we present the next four stamps of this collection with examples of these beautiful ancient constructions from Hel, Kołobrzeg, Rozewie and Gdańsk. All of them are touristically attractive and available for the visitors.


What can you see on the stamps?


Gdańsk New Harbour

The presented here lighthouse at Gdańsk New Harbour has been turned out of use in 1984 after 90 years of work, as the new one was put at service in Gdańsk Northern Harbour. Its eight-sided tower was damaged during the World War II, what can be seen even today as the hole in the wall was refilled with bricks of lighter colour.


Rozewie

The lighthouse at the Rozewie promontory is a champion in many aspects - as the northernmost one in Poland, the oldest of still working in Poland (since 1822), and the brightest one, as its light can be seen from the distance of 26 nautical miles. It is visible from all around (many lighthouses throw their light at the sea only). It had to be heightened twice because of the trees screening its light. It is the site of the Lighthouses Museum.


Kołobrzeg

The original lighthouse was built in the 17th century at the entrance to the harbour. Frequently rebuilt, it was finally destroyed in the last days of the World War II. A few years after the war, however, a new lighthouse of characteristically massive construction was erected on the base of the 19th century Prussian fortress.


Hel

The first and probably the oldest "lighthouse" on the Polish territory was the fire, lit up in the 17th century on the church tower at the tip of Hel Peninsula. The presented here lighthouse is the fourth in this area and it was built in 1942. It is 40-meters high, eight-sided brick tower. The previous lighthouse was destroyed in September, 1939, by Hel defenders, as it proved to be an orientation point for the attacking German troops.


The light specification

Each lighthouse has its own individual light code to be easily identified. For example at Rozewie each flash lasts 0,1 s, and repeats after 2,9 s. This cycle at Hel is as follows: flash 5,0 s, and the next after 5,0 s, while in Kołobrzeg the flash lasts 1,0 s, and repeats again after 2,0 s.


The FDC envelope and the postmark

The illustration on the last year's FDC envelopes with stamps with lighthouses featured the reflecting mirror, and this year it shows a typical lighthouse 1000 watts electric bulb. Such and even more powerful bulbs were and still are the lightsource in many lighthouses, as for example in the unworking now Gdańsk lighthouse. The lighthouses at Rozewie and in Kołobrzeg are however equipped with the most modern halogen searchlights.

Two FDC envelopes will be accompanied by an occasional postmark, used in the Hel Post Office.

 

World Philatelic Exhibition "Saint-Petersburg 2007"


designer: J. Gorska
steel plate engraving: W. Zajdel
quantity of stamp: 1 in form of block
value: 3 PLN
issue: 500.000 pcs
printing technique: steel engraving + rotogravure
stamp size: 43 x 31.25 / 90 x 70 mm
paper: fluorescent
circulation date: 12 June 2007
catalogue number: blo 145

FDC


Dear collectors,

The new stamp

On the occasion of the World Philatelic Exhibition that will take place on the June19 - 25, 2007 in Saint-Petersburg the Polish Post presents its new postage block with a stamp of the nominal value of 3 zloty, showing the St. Catherine of Alexandria Church, the oldest Roman-Catholic church in Russia. It is an important place for the Poles living in Russia. Currently the celebration of opening of the new Polish House was held there.

Saint-Petersburg

The old capital of Russia, established by czar Peter I in the 18th century and popularly called Venice of the North because of its numerous channels in the river Neva delta. The city is also famous of its "white nights", or the period around the summer solstice, when for a few days there is practically no real night. The city is a showing window of the contemporary Russia, an important cultural and scientific centre as well as the site of many museums (Hermitage and others), numerous monuments of the baroque and classicist architecture, such as palaces in the city and its environments, the citadel, and the Orthodox churches.

The World Philatelic Exhibition

The leading theme of the exhibition in Saint-Petersburg is the 150th anniversary of issue of the first Russian State postage stamp. Apart from the exhibition and philatelic competitions during this period many other events are expected, such as a laser show, a series of musical concerts and meetings of the exhibitors from all over the world. The exhibition will be held mainly at the Kochubey Palace and the Central Exhibition Hall "Manege", formerly a building of the horse riding school of the Mounted Guard.

The Programme:

19 VI - Inauguration. Day of the Russian Stamp
20 VI - Day of UPU (Universal Postal Union) and FIP (International Federation of Philately)
21 VI - Cosmonautics Day
22 VI - Saint-Petersburg Day
23 VI - The day of ASCAT (International Publishers' of Postage Stamp Catalogues, Stamp Albums and Philatelic Publications Association) and IFSDA (International Federation of Stamp Dealers' Association)
24 VI - Philatelist Day
25 VI - Youth Day. Closing of the Exhibition


The FDC envelope and the occasional postmark

The presented postage block with a stamp is accompanied by the FDC envelope in the luminous shades of blue, typical for Saint-Petersburg, the city "suspended" between the water and the sky. The postmark will be in use in the Warszawa 1 Post Office.

 

The 750th anniversary of the Cracow locating


designer: K. Sowinski
quantity of stamp: 1
value: 2.40 PLN
issue: 1.000.000 pcs
printing technique: steel engraving + rotogravure
size of stamp: 51 x 31.25 mm
paper: fluorescent
selling sheets: 50 stamps
circulation date: 29 May 2007
catalogue number: 4165

FDC


Dear collectors,


Locating - setting up a new city or village, but also conferring the new spatial or legal form on an already existing settlement. In the Middle Ages it was a kind of the long-term agreement between the land-owner and the so-called leading settler, usually a mayor of the settlement, responsible for fulfillment of the agreed upon plans of its future development.

The new stamp

On the occasion of the 750th anniversary of the Cracow locating the Polish Post presents its new stamp, being one of the elements of the nationwide celebration of our ancient capital jubilee.


What can you see on the stamp?

On the stamp there are combined city symbols, most important for its jubilee: an aerial view of the city's core, or the Old Market, a fragment of the original Locating Act, kept at the State Archives of the City of Cracow, and the City arms in cartouche.


The Cracow locating

The city of Cracow existed probably in the 7/8th century already, but originally as the site of the ruling prince only and, in later times, of the bishops as well. Only in 1257, during the reign of the prince Bolesław the Shy, the locating privilege was conferred upon the city, that contributed much to its further development as the flourishing trade and craftsmanship centre. The established then city lay-out with its market place and main streets remained unchanged till now. Upon locating the new settlers had been encouraged, granted with many privileges and preferences, and the City Council had been created who regulated activities of the guilds and other associations, and took care about building the city walls. Based on the so-called Magdeburg Law the city locating transformed Cracow into the real European royal capital, a city recognized as a pearl of the world cultural heritage.


The FDC envelope

The FDC envelope features a medieval panoramic view of Cracow, printed in gold.


The postmark

The occasional postmark used in the Kraków 1 Post Office contains the graphical logo Cracovia, based on the ancient lay-out of the city centre, as established by the locating act.


The city of Cracow on the post stamps

The city of Cracow used to be a frequent guest on Polish post stamps. In the 1980s there were issued two big series "The Renovation of Cracow Monuments" and "The Wawel Castle Heads". Seven years ago a bloc "Kraków - The European City of Culture 2000" had been issued, presenting an ancient panorama of the city.

 

2007 - The Karol Szymanowski's Year


designer: A. Pagowski, M. Błazkow
quantity of stamp: 1
value: 1.35 PLN
issue: 1.000.000 pcs
printing technique: rotogravure
size of stamp: 31.25 x 43 mm
paper: fluorescent
selling sheets: 50 stamps
circulation date: 26 May 2007
catalogue number: 4164

FDC


Dear collectors,

The new stamp

The Polish Parliament has declared the year of 2007 to be the year of Karol Szymanowski in connection with two important anniversaries relating to his life falling on that year: the 125th anniversary of his birth and the 70th anniversary of his death. On this occasion the Polish Post presents a new stamp with the artist's portrait thrown against the sketchy outlines of a piano keyboard, drawn in many colours to illustrate variety of the Szymanowski's composing output.

Karol Szymanowski (1882-1937) was born at the village Tymoszówka in Ukraine in the house of Polish gentry family. He started his education at home under his father's tutelage, and continued it at different schools, also in Warsaw. Even before the 1st World War he achieved quite considerable fame in Europe as a composer. His further artistic career was much influenced by his frequent travels and excursions. The events of the October Revolution however had brought upon him a nervous breakdown, as it banned him from his homeland. Finally he found a new home only in Zakopane, where for the first time he came into contact with the Polish highlander's folklore, under whose influence he remained all the rest of his life. While staying there he used to live in the famous residence "Atma", being currently a seat of his museum. Szymanowski died after long illness in Lausanne, and his body had been buried in Cracow. Apart from musical compositions, Szymanowski proved to be an active writer. He left rich correspondence and numerous publications, mainly on the musical problems. He also worked as a teacher and tutor, first being the head of Warsaw Conservatory (1927-1929), and then the rector of the Higher Musical School (1930-1932).


His artistic life may be divided into three periods:

the romantic period (before 1914), when he belonged to the so-called Young Poland Group, together with other young composers: G. Fitelberg, L. Różycki and A. Szeluta. His main inspirations were then the works of F. Chopin, R. Wagner, and R. Strauss. His main works: the opera "Hagith" and "Love Songs of Hafiz".

the impressionistic period (appr. 1914-1924). The author was then strongly inspired by the works of such French composers as M. Ravel and C. Debussy as well as by his exotic excursions, for example to the Northern Africa. His main achievements of that period are the opera "King Roger" and "The Songs of the Mad Muezzin".

the national period (appr. 1925-1937) when he remained under influence of the Polish folk music, the highlander's as well as of the inhabitants of the Kurpie region in Masovia. His works: The "Harnasie" ballet, "The Kurpian Songs", "Stabat Mater".

The postmark

The FDC envelope is accompanied with an occasional postmark in unusual horizontal format, showing the handwritten Szymanowski's signature. It will be used at the Zakopane 1 Post Office.

 

2007 - The Stanislaw Wyspianski's Year


designer: J. Wysocki
quantity of stamp: 1
value: 1.35 PLN
issue: 1.000.000 pcs
printing technique: offset
size of stamp: 43 x 31.25 mm
paper: fluorescent
selling sheets: 20 stamps
circulation date: 18 May 2007
catalogue number: 4163

FDC


Dear collectors,

Stanisław Wyspiański (1869-1907) - an outstanding personage of the Young Poland epoch, a versatile artist at the break of the 19th/20th centuries - a dramatist, poet, and painter as well as graphic and designer of furniture, fabrics and interior decorations. Apart from the pure and applied arts he was also interested in history, drama and literature... In cooperation with Jan Matejko he prepared a new polychromy for St. Mary's Church in Cracow and designed monumental stained-glass paintings and theatrical scenographies. His artistic achievements frequently met with misunderstanding however, as he did not use to follow the current trends and fashions. His patriotic but critical approach to the Polish history is markedly present in his works, in particular in the great national dramas, such as "The Liberation", "The Varsovian Anthem", "The November Night", or "The Wedding". Although strongly connected with his home town of Cracow, he travelled frequently around Europe, in particular to Paris. He died all too early, at the age of 38 only.


The stamp and the FDC envelope

The Wyspiański's favourite painting technique was the pastel in which he created many intimate and touching family portraits, self-portraits, and city landscapes. On the new stamp, issued on the 100th anniversary of the artist death, one can see one of such paintings "Little Helen with a vase and flowers" of 1902, and on the FDC envelope there is another one "Self-portrait with wife" of 1904. The artist's wife, Theodora, was a simple peasant girl, just like the wife of Lucjan Rydel, whose wedding party became the theme of the Wyspiański's drama. Apart from their social and intellectual differences, however, the artist sincerely loved his wife, a mother to his three children.

The postmark

The occasional postmark, used at the Kraków 1 Post Office, features the painter's palette with his initials with which he signed his works.

The plants in the Wyspiański's works and in philately

Wyspiański and his works were quite frequently presented on the Polish Post stamps, for example in the series on Polish paintings, stained-glass works, or dramas, but in 1974 the particular series of six stamps had been issued, entitled "The Plants in the Wyspiański's Works". This year in the Cracow section of the National Museum an exhibition "Herbarium" has been opened as a part of his jubilee, presenting the plants as one of the most important motifs in his paintings and graphics. His representations were always of high quality not only artistically, but also from the botanical point of view.

 

EUROPA - The 100th anniversary of Scouting


designer: A.Pekalski
quantity of stamp: 1
value: 3 PLN
issue: 1.000.000 pcs
printing technique: offset
size of stamp: 43 x 31.25 mm
paper: fluorescent
selling sheets: 20 stamps
circulation date: 5 May 2007
catalogue number: 4162

FDC


Dear collectors,

The EUROPA stamps

This idea of joint issues is already 51 years old, and Poland takes part in it since 1991. From the year of 2002 on the PostEurop - An Association of the European Public Postal Operators - throws the stamp design on the assigned subject open to competition. This year's subject is the 100th anniversary of the Scout Movement.


The new stamp and the FDC envelope

The both issues are illustrated with a picture of boys in typical Boy Scout form with a Boy Scouts' camp tents in the background.


The postmark

The commemorative postmark used in the Post Office Warszawa 1 is composed of the Scout Movement symbols. Three petals of the fleur-de-lys represent three responsibilities of the Boys Scout member - to the God, his neighbours and himself, the stars stand for the Scout Law and Pledge, and the loop and ring symbolize community and striving for perfection.

Robert Baden-Powell (1857-1941), The British army general, an inventor and founder of the Boys Scout movement. He was the first to organize the schooling of young boys in the scouting and communication services during defence of the Mafeking stronghold in South Africa at the time of the Boer War in 1899. The rules, described later in his handbooks, have laid foundation for the similar movements all over the world. The first Boy Scouts' camping assembly was held at Brownsea Island in 1907 and this date was accepted as the starting moment of the Boy Scout movement. At the 1st Jamboree* in London in 1920 R. Baden-Powell was acclaimed the Chief Scout of the World.

*jamboree - the international camping assemblies of Boy Scouts, organized since 1920.

Scouting - the youth movement based on the universal ideas of brotherhood, mutual assistance, responsibility, and sincerity. The movement quickly spread around from England onto other countries, including Poland, where thanks to Andrzej Małkowski it gave rise to the "harcerstwo". Originally the Scouts were the exclusively boy's organization, but even in 1910 the first similar movement for the girls (Girl Guides) had been established. Currently the World Organization of the Scout Movement, established in 1920, of which Polish Scout Association (ZHP) was one of the co-founders, covers majority of the national scout organizations in the world. It is worth to remark here that the name of "harcerstwo" applies exclusively to the Polish branch of this movement. Andrzej Małkowski used to explain that "harcerstwo" means scouting and independence together.


Information for the collectioners

In 1991 the Polish Post issued a series of four stamps on the occasion of the 80th anniversary of the Scout Movement.


Railway in Poland









designer: J. Skakun
quantity of stamp:4
value: 2 x 1.35 PLN, 2 x 2.40 PLN
issue: 500.000 pcs
printing technique: offset
size of stamp : 43 x 31.25 mm
paper: fluorescent
selling sheets: 16 stamps
circulation date: 28 April 2007
catalogue number: 4158-4161

FDC








Dear collectors,

The Polish Post introduces a new series of four stamps, featuring the old railway cars from the steam locomotives depot at Wolsztyn, now celebrating its 100th anniversary. The trains, especially the antique ones, are still readily and frequently presented on the illustrations. The people indulge in tasting the picturesque beauty of running machines and the romantic aura of the old days' travel when even the time seemed to flow more peacefully.

Railway in Poland


The history of railway on Polish territory begins at the half of the 19th century, when the famous Warsaw-Vienna railway line had been opened. Later development of the railroad transport in Poland was influenced by its turbulent history. During wars the trains served mostly the military purposes, and when the peace had settled much of the rolling stock appeared to be taken away by the neighbour states. In the twentieth years of the XX century in the independent country the production of locomotives had been started in Chrzanów and Poznań, but the economical crisis strongly damped its growth. After the Second World War the waggons and locomotives were produced also in Wrocław, at the Pafawag factories. Although the first electric trains were introduced as early as in the thirties, the real boom in electrification falls on the years 50. and 60. In the seventies the railway develops particularly mass cargo transport from Silesia to the sea coast; the passenger services grew continously at that time as well. In 2006 the PKP (Polish State Railways) celebrated its 80th anniversary.

The steam locomotives depot at Wolsztyn


This is the only one place in Europe, where the steam locomotives leave every day from to carry on the regular connections on the lines to Poznań and Leszno. The depot houses more than 30 locomotives up to this day. Each year in the first days of May the Locomotive's Parade is being held at Wolsztyn.

The FDC envelopes

Two FDC envelopes have in the background the reprints of the archival photographs, made in the railway stations. In their corners there is a jubilee logo of the Wolsztyn depot.

The postmark

The occasional postmark, used at the Post Office Wolsztyn 1, features the standard railway sign of the unguarded multitrack crossing.


The Earthday in Poland


designer: A.Niemierko
quantity of stamp: 1
value: 1.35 PLN
issue: 500.000 pcs
printing technique: offset
size of stamp: 43 x 31,25 mm
paper: fluorescent
selling sheets : 16 stamps
circulation date: 22 April 2007
catalogue number: 4157

FDC


Dear collectors,


On the April 22 this year we have celebrated the eighteenth Earthday in Poland. This year the ecological actions were carried on under the slogan "The Earth regained". On this occasion the Polish Post has issued the stamp, promoting recycling of the usable wastes. The wastes' segregation problem is of utmost importance, in particular in the environment pollution perspective. The human production wastes should not remain uncared of on the waste storage areas, but to regain and recycle them it is necessary to shape anew the consciousness of all the consumers, in fact - all of us. As more organizations will join in popularization of the proecological attitudes, as more hope for all of us to transform every new day into the real Earthday.

What the Earthday really is?


This idea has been born in the USA around the 1970, but originally it engaged mainly the youth and students. However, in the 1971 the Earthday idea has received a support from the then Secretary of the United Nations Organization, Mr Sithu U Thant. This spring activities for the future of our planet will include collecting the wastes, planting the new trees, arranging the meetings of the local officials with ecological organization representatives, competitions, information campaigns, exhibitions, artistic workshops, presentations of the companies, working on the environment conservation... The Earthday teaches all its participants responsibility as doing even small things they all share in the global improvement of the planet condition.

What can you see on the stamp?


Its background recalls the gray recycled paper, on which there is an international symbol of recycling as well as the logo of the Earthday in Poland. In spite of its apparent simplicity and chary form it has a real power of expression.

The postmark

The occasional postmark, used at the Post Office Warszawa 1, uses the graphically modified logo of the Earthday in Poland.

The FDC envelope

On the edge of the FDC envelope there are some photographic pictures of different usable wastes, such as paper, metal can, and plastic and glass bottles


The Day of My Life




stamps and envelopes designer: Joanna Gorska
postmark designer: Iwona Kuziola - Duczmal
quantity of stamps: 3
value: 3 x PLN 1,35
issue: 3 x 800.000 pcs
printing technique : offset
size of stamp : 43 x 31,25 mm
paper: fluorescent
selling sheets : 20 stamps
circulation date: 30 March 2007
catalogue number: 4154, 4155, 4156

FDC








Dear collectors,


The Polish Post presents you a new series of three stamps under the joint title "The Day of My Life". Anyone of us has sometimes a real day of his/hers life, the most happy one indeed. Some of them remain unknown to anybody but us, while there are other such days, when we want to share our joy and happiness with all our friends, relatives, or beloved ones. Exactly for such an occasions, relating with some particular celebrations, our stamps have been prepared. Each of them features the most readable for everybody symbols: the JHS monogram together with a chalice, a bunch of grapes, and a loaf of bread; the birthday cake with candles; and the wedding rings with rose flower. Each stamp is accompanied by the FDC envelope in the carefully chosen, suitable colors. It is our hope that these stamps will become for you, much like the St. Valentine and the personalized stamps, an additional way to express your sympathy in your correspondence and a kind of heartful gift rather than yet another formal confirmation of mailing expenses. The FDC envelopes will be stamped with their occasional postmarks at the Warszawa 1 Post Office.



The 50th Anniversary of Signing the Treaties of Rome


designer: M.Blazkow
quantity of stamp 1
value: PLN 3.55
issue: 500.000 pcs
printing technique: offset
size of stamp: 31.25 x 43 mm
paper: fluorescent
selling sheet: 20 stamps
circulation date: 20 March 2007
catalogue number:4153

FDC

Dear collectors,


On March 25th, 1957 in Rome the representatives of member states of the European Community of Coal and Steel, i.e. Belgium, German Federal Republic, France, Italy, Luxemburg and Netherlands, had signed the treaties, establishing the European Economic Community and the European Atomic Energy Community. Since then, the Treaties of Rome have become a foundation stone of the Europan integration.
To commemorize the 50th anniversary of that important event Polish Post issues the stamp, featuring the national flags of all the EU member countries. In addition, the stamp shows also an official logo of the jubilee celebration, being a word TOGETHER, built up of the characters, symbolizing the cultural diversity. The stamp has been designed by Szymon Skrzypczak, a Poznań Academy of Fine Arts student who had won the first prize at the 2006 Pan-European competition "Happy Birthday EU".
The European Union had not been created in one night. It was a long and tedious road rather on which the first step had been done by the treaty on establishing the European Coal and Steel Community, signed in 1951 in Paris, and only then followed by the Treaties of Rome. Later the other treaties supplemented them, of Maastricht (1992), Amsterdam (1997), Nice (2001), and Athens (2003), but it were the Treaties of Rome which enforced the still valid direction for the European integration. Currently the European Union consists of 27 member states whose cooperation covers many other different areas and not economy alone, as it was in the beginning.
On the FDC envelope there are added the accession dates of all the succeeding EU member states. The envelope will be stamped with an occasional postmark, used at the Warszawa 1 Post Office.

 

The Easter



designer: M.Dziekanska
quantity of stamp 2
value: PLN 1.35, PLN 2.40
issue: 1.35 zł - 22.000.000 pcs
2.40 zł - 2.500.000 pcs
printing technique: rotogravure
size of stamp: 39.5 x 31.25 mm
paper: fluorescent
selling sheet: 50 stamps
circulation date: 8 March 2007
catalogue number:4151, 4152

FDC

Dear collectors,


As usual, the Polish Post will accompany you during these holidays. Thanks to the stamps, postcards and envelopes, issued on those particular occasions, we may help you to mail your greetings in the nice and esthetic form to your friends and relatives. On this year's Easter stamps the symbols of these holidays, the painted eggs and the Lamb of God, are presented in an unusual way, referring to the traditional folk art. A chicken was made out of the wooden eggs, while the lamb was woven of the straw. No doubt that their execution would require a lot of time, patience, and talent of the skillful folk craftsman. Let these beautiful and unique stamps be for you an invitation for a moment of reflexion and careful writing the most heartful holiday wishes, so rare in our hurried times of mass production and omnipresent computers.
In the Polish Easter tradition the religious and springtime symbolics are inseparable. The Nature, waking up to life after long winter, reflects the Jesus' Resurrection, giving the hope for a new life to everybody. That is why the green colour, being a colour of hope, as well as the folk stylized floral motifs are also present on our stamps. On the FDC envelope one can find apart from the painted eggs a small palm and floral ornament as well. The envelope will be marked with an occasional postmark at the Warszawa 1 Post Office.

 

I love you

designer: J.Skakun
quantity of stamp 1
value: PLN 1.35
issue: selling sheet with 20 stamps - 2.800.000 pcs
selling sheet with 8 stamps + 8empty field - 200.000 pcs
printing technique: offset
size of stamp: 31.25 x 43 mm
paper: fluorescent
selling sheet: 20 stamps
circulation date: 8 February 2007
catalogue number: 4150

FDC

Dear collectors,


This year the Polish Post issues the next Valentine's stamp from the series "I love you". As usual, its design is light and happy. In the actual stamp it is based on the motif of the colorful hearts and butterflies, intertwined together, what is perfectly supplemented by the date postmark in the form of a butterfly catching net. It is hoped that this, evidently springtime in character stamp, will help its users to add even more optimism and sympathy to their letters. The real Saint Valentine, who lived in the 3rd century and was the bishop of the nearby to Rome city of Terni, was a martyr and his patronage over the lovers is most probably due to a legend. According to it, he secretly married the young couples against the rule of the Roman ceasar Claudius II, who ordered to enlist to the army as many unmarried men as possible. Perhaps this tradition has mixed together with Lupercals, the Roman festival of harvest and fertility, celebrated in the middle of February, which in the 10th century was renamed for the day of love promises. The British celebrate the St. Valentine's Day since the Middle Ages while in Poland sending the Valentine's postcards have come into fashion only some fifteen years or so ago. This "I love you" stamp will be accompanied by the FDC envelope, stamped with an occasional postmark at the Warszawa 1 Post Office.

 

European Figure Skating Championships 2007

designer: J.Gorska
quantity of stamp 1
value: PLN 2.40
issue: 500.000 pcs
printing technique: offset
size of stamp: 43 x 31.25mm
paper: fluorescent
selling sheet: 16 stamps
circulation date: 22 January 2007
catalogue number: 4149

FDC

Dear collectors,


In the period 22-28 January 2007 there will take place in Warsaw the European Figure Skating Championships. On this occasion we are issuing a post stamp presenting the silhouettes of couples of figure skaters in floodlights, designed in spare and elegant colors.
It is worth mentioning that post stamps commemorating important sports events, popularizing different sports disciplines, as well as stamps devoted to eminent sports characters have been issued by Poczta Polska for over seventy years now. In that period there appeared a few hundred philatelic titles, and the stamp issued in 2002 on the occasion of the Salt Lake City Winter Olympic Games was awarded a golden medal in the Prix Olympia competition, organized by MKOL (International Olympic Committee).
The tradition of figure skating competitions dates back to the second half of the 19th century, and has since 1908 become an Olympic discipline. The International Skating Union committed the organization of this year's championships to the Polish Figure Skating Association. A similar event took place in Warsaw 99 years ago, and was one of the first European championships. In this year's event there will participate the representatives of 35 European states. Individual skaters, dance and sports couples will be competing.
The stamp that we present will be accompanied by a First Day of Circulation envelope cancelled with a commemorative stamp used in Pots Office Warszawa 1.

 

Polish Cities - Gorzow Wielkopolski

designer: J. Pietras
quantity of stamp: 1
value: PLN 1.35
issue: many milions repeatable
printing technique : rotogravure
size of stamp : 25,5 x 31,25 mm
paper: fluorescent
selling sheet : 100 stamps
circulation date: 19 January 2007 r.
catalogue number: 4148

FDC

Dear collectors,


The Polish Post introduces a new stamp from the "Polish Cities" series. It presents Gorzów Wielkopolski, celebrating now its 750th anniversary. Gorzów Wielkopolski is the biggest city of the Lubuskie Voivodship, situated some 50 km only from the Polish-German frontier. While being an important center of industry and many new investments, it is still the really green city as its 12 parks cover an area of almost 130 ha. The city was located precisely on the 2nd of July, 1257. Its original name was Landisberch Nova, or New Landsberg. Built at the confluence of the Warta and Klodawka rivers, the city soon became the dynamic center of trade and handicraft. Over a few centuries of its history the city experienced numerous wars and destructions. Its political attachment changed from Brandenburg, the Teutonic Order, Prussia, Germany, and finally to Poland. That is why after the 2nd World War its name was changed for Gorzów Wielkopolski. The gothic cathedral of the Lady Mary's Ascencion as well as the Pauksch's Fountain, both shown on the actual stamp, are the best known city symbols. It is worth to mention that the copy of the 19th century fountain, founded by the businessman Hermann Pauksch, could be re-erected at the Old Market Place in the 1997 thanks to the friendly cooperation of Polish and German communities. At the FDC envelope there is presented a drawing of the precious side altar from the cathedral. This early renaissance triptych features a scene of Crucifixion. The FDC envelope will be stamped with occasional postmark with a city's coat of arms in the Gorzów Wielkopolski 1 Post Office


15th Final of the Great Orchestra of Holiday Assistance

designer: Z. Wlodarczyk, P.Salkowski, J.Owsiak
quantity of stamp 1
value: PLN 1.35
issue: 2.000.000 pcs
printing technique: rotogravure
size of stamp: 43 x 31.25mm
paper: fluorescent
selling sheet: 50 stamps
circulation date: 4 January 2007
catalogue number: 4147

FDC

Dear collectors,


Traditionally in January the hearts of many Poles in Poland and abroad will beat harder when the Great Orchestra of Holiday Assistance plays. Hard to believe but on 14th January 2007 there will already take place the 15th, jubilee final of the Great Orchestra of Holiday Assistance. From the time of the 1st Final in 1993 the Orchestra collected and spent on noble aims (mainly on specialist medical equipment) 65 million dollars! Each year, with the help of thousands of volunteers, sponsorship companies and many people of good will, funds are collected for specific purposes. This year, as last year, the funds collected will go for saving children injured in accidents and for first aid training courses. The Orchestra is not only a charity event, a holiday of welfare work, but an occasion for fun and meeting with people of good will. Thanks to its verve and effectiveness the Great Orchestra of Holiday Assistance is an unusual happening on the global scale, and even, as has been presented on the stamp on a "cosmic" scale.
Poczta Polska has for many years now accompanied the Final of the Great Orchestra of Holiday Assistance, among others, by issuing commemorative postcards and stamps, part of which go for the Final auction. We are engaged in the Orchestra event in many ways. In the past years, for example, we issued commemorative cards with dated cancellations and postmarks, provided for auction stamp albums with stamps issued by Poczta Polska, our staff helped in escorting the collected money and in its counting. The first special post stamp was issued during the 12th Final of the Great Orchestra of Holiday assistance in 2004. Also this year, to continue the tradition, Poczta Polska is issuing a special commemorative stamp. Jerzy Owsiak, the idea-giver of the Great Orchestra is also the co-author of the stamp design.
On 4 January 2007, on the day of the introduction of the stamp into postal circulation, there will also be in sale a First Day of Circulation Envelope, cancelled with a commemorative stamp used in Post Office Warszawa 1, ul. Swietokrzyska 31/33, 00-001 Warszawa.

 


Ta strona używa ciasteczek (cookies), dzięki którym nasz serwis może działać lepiej. Dowiedz się więcej.
Korzystając ze strony zgadzasz się na zapisywanie prywatnych danych zawartych w plikach cookies i im podobnych technologii w urządzeniu końcowym. Zapoznaj się z naszą polityką wykorzystywania danych. Zamknij